Friday, January 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Debby!!

Today I baked Red Velvet cupcakes for friend Debby's birthday (really Monday). I used to make a cake from scratch from my mother's recipe and hers were always gorgeous!  Mine, however, always turned out flat!! Sooo....these are made from a box mix...good and problem solved!
Debby & I have been friends for almost 40 years since first getting married.  Can it really be that long ago?? Gee, we still seem young except conversation over dinner used to be about our children and their activities...now it seems to be about our grandchildren and a few odd aches and pains!
 Dinner was to be Debby's favorite...Chinese take-out!!
 Then got a last minute phone call for one extra visitor...son Mike who after work drove an hour to get here with Grandpa Joe's hearing aid...again! He's a saint, that's all I have to say!  Anyway, it was fun to see him and a bonus for us!!
 January is not only Debby's birthday but also both my parents and daughter-in-law's...so it is/was a busy month.  Today was 8* in my car going to the grocery store, the radio said -10* windchill and it felt that cold!  I told Debby tonight that her birthday is on the coldest day of the year and mine is always on the hottest!! (July 19th..lol!)
Happy Birthday Debby and many, any more!!!

15 comments:

Stacy said...

This world is so small...I used to work with Debbi before she retired. Now I work in the room above her daughter.

Kim said...

Those cupcakes look yummy. I bet they would taste great with Jamaica me Crazy coffee!

Rosaria Williams said...

Very thoughtful of you to put together a birthday celebration for your best friend. I'm so jealous!

yaya said...

Happy Birthday Debby! Hope many more are in store..and with Donna as a good friend, it will be fun!

Rebecca said...

Red velvet is my husband's favorite cake....And his birthday is next month (Feb. is OUR big birthday month.) Do you make yours from scratch or use the box mix?

Donna said...

Oh Rebecca...THAT's a whole other story...I used to always make it from my mother's scratch recipe but they always turned out flat! My mother's were gorgeous! So a mix is good for me...loser!

Julia said...

Donna, you are such a nice friend to make a birthday cake for your friend. I like your idea of cup cakes. I did that for my daughter's birthday one year and it was so much easier to pass them to the kids outside. No need to cut the cake.

Sorryto hear about the fire in your community but glad that no one was hurt.

It's nice and sunny here in Ottawa but a bit cold.

Stay safe and warm. JB

Julia said...

Mandy is in my prayers and I wish her and her unborn baby all the best. JB

Henley on the Horn said...

How precious that you celebrated your sweet friend's birthday so well! I love your cute birthday plates! Where did you find them?

Donna said...

Mama Henley...I got the plates at Homegoods :-)

Molly said...

Happy birthday to your friend Debbie from me too Donna. glad she's having a special day with you.

Susan Anderson said...

I always love a good birthday month, and I also love red velvet cupcakes! (Everyone seems to be going with cupcakes these days..)

=)

Wander to the Wayside said...

Friends for over 40 years - wow! That's worthy of a celebration in itself, so congratulations to both of you, and happy birthday to her. The only thing I dislike about cupcakes is that I look more piggy taking five cupcakes than if I took an extra large piece of cake (I have a sweet tooth so bad that everyone else saves their edge frosting for me)!

Beth Dunn said...

cupcakes and a duck centerpiece=heaven
xoxo
SC

Copyboy said...

Sounds like a great time! Happy Birthday Deb. BTW...made you new blog of the day.