Sunday, August 30, 2009

Poignant....

This weekend I more fully understood the meaning of the word "poignant". We went to the funeral of my father in Wisconsin. Mike, Lori and Bailey went with us which was an enormous comfort and help. One life ends and Lori, who is pregnant with our grandchild due in February, begins another. We started the journey in Chicago visiting many of Mom and Dad's favorite spots and driving past their home. Then we returned to the hotel room where Bailey had her bath and was ready for bed...

Love those good-night kisses and hugs!!!


The next day we traveled to Luther Valley in Wisconsin for the funeral, a beautiful piece of the world. It was a cool, sunny day and made me feel very contemplative.There were wonderful flowers there from friends and relatives...


While we were waiting for guests to come, we entertained Miss B...


-and vice versa....bless her heart!!


Following the service, we processed to the gravesite across the street while the church bells tolled 87 for the number of years Dad lived.

Then we went to an Italian restaurant where we were able to have dinner and conversation with close friends of my parents and ours from Chicago. There is never enough time to talk but we were able to catch up a little with them and....


relatives. Here is my cousin Joel and his beautiful family. He is like a brother to me.


I was stunned to see that all of my cousins came, some from Iowa and as far away as Texas for this!!! It ended up being a great reunion...some of us hadn't seen each other since childhood. We reminised about family and old memories,

...all 10 of us.

The next generation...
Sister Lynn's husband, Jim did the service.


Larry & me...


Then we went back to Chicago and enjoyed a quiet meal with Bailey. Ask her to smile and this is her fun reaction...


...and this...


She had Mickey Mouse pancakes for breakfast this morning, and loved 'em...but hated taking Mickey apart to eat him...so endearing,...ahhhh life!




-and off to the airport and home.



2 comments:

yaya said...

My computer just got home from the computer "doctor" so I haven't seen this post. I was so glad you have a pic of the beautiful church. You have described it beautifully and I was happy to see it for real. I'm glad you were able to catch up with family and that so many came to honor your Dad. Wish I could have come to support you too! Our grandkids remind us that indeed, life does go on and how sweet and wonderful that can be. Welcome back.

Evie's Story said...

So sorry for your loss...looks like a precious family gathered to honor his life. Pray comfort has come from those precious grands hugs and kisses!!